Discussion: Finding CrabReported This is a featured thread

Showing 9 posts

Roaddog2
Finding Crab
May 13 2009, 11:44 AM EDT | Post edited: May 13 2009, 11:44 AM EDT
How come they do not use a fish finder? 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None
AliceAnne
AliceAnne
1. RE: Finding Crab
May 13 2009, 12:04 PM EDT | Post edited: May 13 2009, 12:04 PM EDT
I often wondered that myself. Is it because the crabs are on the ocean floor and the fish finders don't go that deep? If the Navy can have different kind of sonars, you'd think there is some kind of instrument to assist them with hunting those little buggers down. Do you find this valuable?    
crabbynuts
crabbynuts
2. RE: Finding Crab
May 13 2009, 12:18 PM EDT | Post edited: May 13 2009, 12:18 PM EDT
crabbs live on the edge! Do you find this valuable?    
AliceAnne
AliceAnne
3. RE: Finding Crab
May 13 2009, 12:29 PM EDT | Post edited: May 13 2009, 12:29 PM EDT
"crabbs live on the edge!"
as do the fisherman!
Do you find this valuable?    
crabbynuts
crabbynuts
4. RE: Finding Crab
May 13 2009, 12:34 PM EDT | Post edited: May 13 2009, 12:34 PM EDT
oy yeah! Do you find this valuable?    

pinkcookie
5. RE: Finding Crab
May 13 2009, 7:41 PM EDT | Post edited: May 13 2009, 7:41 PM EDT
"How come they do not use a fish finder?"
I think fish finders work opn the principle that they ping on an object (fish) and the lake or ocean floor and send the calculated difference back. If the object (crab) is on the bottom - there's no difference so no info is sent back. Also some you have to set the maximum depth (bottom) so need to know just how deep. ..........Pink
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Katbody10
Katbody10
6. RE: Finding Crab
May 14 2009, 4:22 AM EDT | Post edited: May 14 2009, 4:22 AM EDT
"I think fish finders work opn the principle that they ping on an object (fish) and the lake or ocean floor and send the calculated difference back. If the object (crab) is on the bottom - there's no difference so no info is sent back. Also some you have to set the maximum depth (bottom) so need to know just how deep. ..........Pink
"
You are correct. Crab are bottom dwellers, fish tend to swim and float above the bottom. Sonar is used to create a map of the terrain - thus a fish, or school of fish in the way, will show the anomoly. Since the crab congregate like a herd of sheep and the bering sea floor littered with old crab pots, sunken vessels, and the occasional pick-up truck from a prank or two, it would be hard to discern what that clump is at the bottom of the sea floor.
Do you find this valuable?    

notacrabfisher
7. RE: Finding Crab
May 14 2009, 5:20 PM EDT | Post edited: May 14 2009, 5:20 PM EDT
B/C it would be looking for crab-which doesn't sound very interesting. Part of Crabfishing is the thrill of not knowing where they are and actually hitting upon a mega load of those little suckers! THAT is fun! Do you find this valuable?    
Cloudsinmotion
Cloudsinmotion
8. RE: Finding Crab
Jun 27 2010, 12:25 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 27 2010, 12:25 PM EDT
"I often wondered that myself. Is it because the crabs are on the ocean floor and the fish finders don't go that deep? If the Navy can have different kind of sonars, you'd think there is some kind of instrument to assist them with hunting those little buggers down."
Some captains can somewhat see the crab on the bottom but only if they are schooled up. But if they are traveling and eating, they are spread out like a slow moving carpet. You won't be able to discern them from the bottom. BTW, the Bering Sea is still pretty pristine. Not much garbage to haul up. Sometimes you can watch a school of cod shadow the crab. Because depending on what stage they are in their life cycles, cod eat crab, and crab eat cod.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?